Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web

1. How much does the Weapons Carry License Application cost?

Regular Weapons Carry License $78.00
Renewal Weapons Carry License (within renewal period)  $30.00
Retired Law Enforcement $7.00
Replacement License $6.00
Temporary Renewal License (good for 90 days only) $1.00


2. How old do I have to be to get a Weapons Carry License?

You must be at least 21 years of age, although exceptions apply for certain military members.  Click here for more information.

3. How long is my Weapons Carry License valid?

A valid Weapons Carry License is good for five (5) years before renewal is required.  However, if the Court is informed that you may no longer be permitted to hold a Weapons Carry License during the 5-year period in which your license is valid, you may be required to appear for a hearing and/or your license may be revoked.

4. How long will it take to receive my Weapons Carry License in the Mail?

As long as the Court has no reason to find that you are prohibited from obtaining a Weapons Carry License, you should receive your License within 3 - 6 weeks from the date of your application.

5. How can I prove that I am domiciled in Henry County?

If you are a resident of Henry County, you will simply need to produce a valid Georgia's Driver's License or Georgia State-Issued Identification Card that reflects a Henry County, Georgia physical address.  If you have a P.O. Box or have recently moved and have not yet updated your driver's license or I.D., you must provide sufficient documentation to a Court clerk that shows that you are actually domiciled in Henry County.

To prove that you are domiciled in Henry County, you must provide two (2) documents linking your name to a Henry County physical address.  One (1) must be directly associated with the residence (i.e., copy of lease, utility bill, etc.).  The bill with the address directly associated with the residence must be current, that is, dated within the last sixty (60) days.  Whether the documents you provide sufficiently prove that you are domiciled in Henry County is at the Court's discretion.
PLEASE NOTE:  we ask that you bring all required documents with you.  You may not email our Court Clerks with supporting documentation.

6. What if I move to another Georgia County?

The Georgia Weapons Carry License is still good even if the license holder moves to another county within the State of Georgia.


If you would like an updated permit with an address change, and the new address on the updated license is in another county in Georgia, IN ORDER TO RECEIVE AN UPDATED PERMIT, PURSUANT TO 16-11-129 (e)(4), YOU MUST ATTACH THE FOLLOWING:


A. Affidavit for Name Change or Address Change to Another County

B. Supporting Documents

1. For Address Change

a.) A Copy of your Georgia Driver's License listing new county of residence; or

b.) Two (2) documents linking your name to the new physical address.  One (1) must be directly associated with residence (i.e., a copy of lease, utility bill, etc.); and

2. For Name Change

a.) A Copy of your Georgia Driver's License noting new name; or

b.) A court order or marriage licenses showing new name.

C. Fees - the fee for an updated permit with address change and/or name change is $6.00 (payable by check with check number 500+ made payable to Henry County Probate Court; or money order).

D. Current Henry County Weapons Carry Permit

7. What if I have a current Georgia Weapons Carry License from another County?

It should still be effective throughout Georgia.  However, some sellers may require the address on your Georgia State-Issued Identification Card or Georgia Driver's License match the address on your Weapons Carry License before they will allow you to purchase a weapon.  If the expiration is within the renewal period (three (3) months prior to expiration or one (1) month after expiration), you may renew your Weapons Carry License with our Court with your new Henry County address.


If the expiration of your license is outside the renewal period but you wish to have your Weapons Carry License reflect a Henry County address, you will be required to pay the $74.00 fee as if you are a new Weapons Carry applicant in Henry County.  Otherwise, you may contact the issuing county of your current Weapons Carry License to find out if they will permit you to change your address on a license from their county for the duration of your license period.

8. Can I have a P.O. Box on my Weapons Carry License?

Yes.  However, if your Driver's License also provides only a P.O. Box, you will be required to provide our clerks with sufficient evidence that you are domiciled in Henry County.  In order to do so, you must bring at least two (2) documents that tie you to a physical Henry County address, and one (1) of the documents must be both current (within the last 60) sixty days) and directly associated with the residence (i.e., rental agreement, proof of homestead, current utility bill, etc.).

9. Can I have a different address on my Georgia Driver's License than on My Weapons Carry License?

Yes, as long as you provide sufficient proof of domicile in Henry County.  However, certain firearms retailers may not allow you to bypass a background check if the two addresses do not match.

10. How do I renew my Weapons Carry License that is about to expire?

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, if your permit expired after February 13, 2020, you may still renew your permit at the regular renewal rate.  Click here to sumbmit the preliminary application online.  When filling out the preliminary gun permit application online, if you are a renewal permit and are getting an error message, please select new license application.  When you arrive at the satellite office, if you are eligible for a renewal permit, it will be converted to a renewal application and the renewal fee will be applied.


Please be aware that the Court will run a name-based criminal history check to ensure that you are still eligible to hold a Georgia Weapons Carry License.  Click here for more information.

11. What if my Weapons Carry License will expire before I get my renewed license in the mail?

Pursuant to O.C.G.A. 16-11-129(i), if the previous license has expired within the last 30 days, you may purchase a temporary renewal license at the cost of $1.00.  The temporary renewal license is in the form of a paper receipt indicating the date on which the Court received your renewal application and shows the name, address, sex, age, and race of the applicant.  This temporary renewal license expires 90 days from the date of issue.  During the period of validity, the temporary renewal license, if carried on or about the holder's person together with the holder's previous license, shall be valid in the same manner and for the same purposes as a five-year license.  Click here for more information.

12. Can I renew my Weapons Carry License earlier than 3 months prior to the expiration of my License?

Yes, you can apply for a renewal at any time prior to the date of expiration, but you will lose the remaining time on your current permit, and the 5-year term will run from the date your renewal permit is issued.  Click here for more information.

13. I lost my Weapons Carry License. How can I get a replacement?

You will need to fill out an Affidavit of Lost or Stolen Weapons Carry License with one of our Court clerks.  Additionally, there is a $6.00 fee for a replacement license, and said replacement is good for the duration of your original 5-year license period.  Click here for more information.

14. I was not born in the United States. What documents will I need to produce in order to get my Georgia Weapons Carry License?

You will need to provide a valid Permanent Resident Card, Certificate of Naturalization, valid U.S. Passport, or Certificate of U.S. Citizen Born Abroad.  You may also need to provide documentation to show that you are currently domiciled in Henry County.  Click here for more information.


15. I am a former law enforcement officer. Can I get a discount? If so, what documents do I need to provide to get the discount?

Georgia law provides that you can receive a Weapons Carry License at the discounted rate of $7.00 if you meet certain requirements.  Applicants who are retired law enforcement officers must bring in documentation showing their retired status as well as documents which indicate that they served as a law enforcement officer for 10 of the 12 years immediately preceding the retirement of such person as a law enforcement officer.  These requirements are pursuant to O.C.G.A. § 16-11-129 (h)(1), which specifically states:


  • A. IF RETIRED, have served as a law enforcement officer for at least ten of the twelve years immediately preceding retirement; OR
  • B. IF DISABLED, have served as a law enforcement officer for 10 years and left employment as a law enforcement officer as a result of a disability arising in the line of duty
  • C. Be included in one of the following classes of officers:
    • 1.) Peace officer employed by the United States government;
    • 2.) Peace officer employed by the State of Georgia;
    • 3.) Peace officer employed by a political subdivision of the State of Georgia; or
    • 4.) Conservation rangers.
  • C. Whether by election or appointment, have given your full time to:
    • 1.) The preservation of public order; 
    • 2.) The protection of life and property; or
    • 3.) The prevention of crime.

16. I am under 21, but I am in the military. Can I get a Weapons Carry License? What do I need to bring with me to get a Weapons Carry License?

In order to receive a Weapons Carry License, you must provide the following:

A. Proof that you are at least 18 years of age;

B. Proof that you have completed basic training in the armed forces of the United States; and

C. Proof that you are actively serving in the armed forces (or reserves) of the United States or have been honorably discharged from such service.

17. I am in the military, stationed in another state or have an out-of-state ID. Can I get a Henry County Weapons Carry License?

Yes.  We recognize it is often difficult for our military personnel to know exactly where their domicile lies.  Therefore, if you are active military and wish to obtain a Georgia Weapons Carry License, you must provide active duty orders and two (2) documents showing a physical address, one (1) of which must be directly associated with the residence in Henry County.


Please Note: Spouses of military members can only receive a Henry County Weapons Carry License if he or she can independently provide proof that he or she is domiciled in Henry County.

18. I am in the reserves. Can I get a Weapons Carry License?

The same requirements for other military personnel also apply to reservists.  If you can provide the required documentation to show that you are currently active in the reserves and domiciled in Henry County, you can get a Henry County Weapons Carry License.

19. I have a criminal history. Can I still get a Weapons Carry License?

While Court personnel cannot tell you in advance whether a particular crime will prohibit you from obtaining a Georgia Weapons Carry License, see O.C.G.A. § 16-11-129 for a comprehensive list of "licensing exceptions."

20. Can a Court clerk tell me up-front whether I will be barred from getting a Weapons Carry License based upon my criminal history?

No.  Court personnel do not have access to your criminal history and cannot answer these questions.  Likewise, Court personnel may not give advice on where a weapon or a long gun may be possessed or carried, and in what manner a weapon or long gun may be possessed and carried.  Georgia Law on where a weapon may be carried can be found in O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126.


It is the responsibility of the applicant to obtain that information, to govern himself or herself accordingly, and to seek legal advice from an attorney, if needed.

21. I received an Order Denying Weapons Carry License in the mail. What does this mean?

A criminal history search was conducted when the applicant submitted his or her application for a Weapons Carry License, and it has been determined that the applicant has not met the qualification for obtaining a Weapons Carry License for the reasons stated in the Order.  The applicant may ask the Court to reconsider its decision by filing a Motion for Reconsideration of Denial and Request for Formal Hearing on or before the ten-day deadline from the date the Order was entered.

If the Order states that the Court requires additional information regarding the victim(s) in a listed crime, this means that the Court requires a hearing on the matter so that the applicant may come and testify as to the facts surrounding the underlying crime.  It may be determined by the Court, upon hearing such testimony from the applicant, that the applicant is, in fact, eligible to receive a Weapons Carry License.  This is often the case when a battery or disorderly conduct conviction or charge appears on the applicant's criminal history.  The Court requires additional information to determine whether such underlying crime is a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

22. How can I get a pardon or records restriction?

Please note that in order to restore your rights if you have been convicted of a crime which prohibits you from obtaining a Weapons Carry License, you will need a Restoration of Firearms Rights.  For additional information, visit: (select "Pardon/Parole Consideration and Guidelines" Tab; Select "Pardons & Restoration of Rights" from the drop-down menu; follow the applicable instructions.

23. I have a charge on the dead docket. How can I get that removed?

You will need to contact the court or prosecutor's office in the jurisdiction where the charge is on the dead docket.  They should be able to provide an Order removing it from the dead docket.

24. I received 1st Offender Status on a charge, but the Order Denying Weapons Carry License that I received in the mail says I need to provide documents to show it was "successfully completed." What does the Court need?

When you successfully complete your sentence, your probation officer is required to recommend to the judge that the case be discharged under the First Offender Act.  The judge is then required to sign an Order of Discharge and file it at the clerk's office.  If you are being asked about a charge that you believed you received 1st Offender treatment, all or part of the described process was not completed.  Therefore, you will need a completed and signed Order of Discharge signed by the judge on your case before the Probate Court can issue you a Weapons Carry License.