Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web

Probating An Estate - What Do I Do?

Handling the estate of a loved one does not have to be difficult.  There are so many other stresses at this time and you don't need another.  Georgia has some good laws regarding estates that will make it easier for you to get through this process.  The clerks at the Probate Court are here to help, but the law requires us to limit the amount of assistance we can give.  Please know, however, that we understand your stress and that we want to do all we can to make this as pleasant as possible.


One thing many people will have to do is make choices about various ways to handle the estate.  If there is a Will, choices will be a little bit different than handling an estate without a Will.  All forms are available here or in our office at 99 Sims Street.

Please note: All petitions must be filed in the Probate Court and filing fees tendered at the time of filing.  Filing fees are non-refundable.

Do I need an Attorney?

You do not need an attorney to file completed documents in a court if you are able to prepare the documents yourself.  This applies in any court.  You are allowed to represent yourself in any civil case in any court in the United States of America.  Therefore, you may represent yourself in this court also.


If you feel uncomfortable representing yourself, the clerks of this or any other court cannot represent you by giving you legal advice.  The clerks of this Court cannot tell you which document you should file nor can they complete any document for you or tell you what to write in any document.  That would be giving you legal advice, and the clerk would be violating the law.


When you file a petition in this Court, you are beginning a case in this Court and you will be representing yourself in that case, unless you hire an attorney to represent you.  Please note, before representing yourself in a hearing before this Court, you must view a video on how to represent yourself in Court.  The video is 30 minutes in length and may be viewed here.

Online Public Records

You can now search for and view newer estate cases on