Both parties to the marriage must be present before the clerk at the same time with picture ID, when applying for the marriage license and must be prepared to prove their ages. Applicants for a marriage license shall, at the time of applying, furnish the clerk with one of the following documents (which includes each applicant's full name and birth dates) to prove his or her ages:
- Birth Certificate;
- Driver's License;
- Baptismal Certificate;
- Certificate of Birth Registration;
- Selective Service Card;
- Court Record;
- Immigration Papers;
- Alien Papers;
- Citizenship Papers;
- Armed Forces Discharge Papers;
- Armed Forces Identification Card;
- Hospital Admission Card;
- Affidavit(available only to applicants
appearing to the Judge to be at least
25 year's of age or older).
If a party or both parties to the marriage were previously married divorced, he and/or she must provide a copy of the final divorce decree showing the signature of the Judge signing the decree and the date said divorce was granted at the time of applying for the marriage license.
If a party or both parties to the marriage were previously married and that marriage ended with the death of their spouse, he and/or she must provide a certified copy of the death certificate for the previous spouse.
If you and your spouse-to-be have had premarital education or counseling, you are eligible to purchase a marriage license at the reduced price of $36.00. To receive the reduced price, complete the State Certification Form regarding your premarital education or counseling and present it to the clerk when you apply for your marriage license. Please note the clerk cannot provide the discount without a completed State Certification Form.
Parties seeking a marriage license should be prepared to supply information to the following types of questions:
- Full Name
- Residential Address (including the County)
- Phone Number
- Date of Birth
- Birthplace (City or County and State)
- Relationship of parties, if any
- Designated Surname
- Number of prior marriages
- If prior marriage(s), how was/were the marriage(s) dissolved?
- Have you been divorced? If so, you will need to bring a copy of your most recent divorce decree with the Judge's signature.
- When and where did the marriage(s) occur?
- Father's Name
- Father's Birthplace (City or County and State)
- Mother's Maiden Name
- Mother's Birthplace (City or County and State)
- Date and Place of your contemplated marriage (City or County and State)
- Social Security Numbers
- Have you together, completed a premarital education course pursuant to O.C.G.A. 19-3-30.1?
- If you have completed a premarital educational course, do you have the proper form, completed and notarized to submit?
The cost of a marriage license is $76.00. The cost of a marriage license with premarital education or counseling and a properly completed State Certification Form is $36.00. We accept cash, money orders, local Henry County checks (no starter checks), MasterCard and Visa Debit/Credit Cards (card processing fee will apply).
AMENDING A MARRIAGE LICENSE/CERTIFICATE:
If you notice after your marriage ceremony is completed that there are errors appearing on the marriage certificate, you will have to file a Petition to Amend Marriage Record. That petition carries a filing fee of $85.50, will require you to supply supporting documentation and may take 30 to 45 days for the Court to process. Additionally, you will have to pay the customary $10.00 fee to obtain a certified copy of the amended marriage certificate.
Petition to Amend Marriage Record
Listed below for your convenience is are some local Henry County marriage officiants.
- Nichole Reynolds - (770) 898-2648
- Clay Davis - (770) 715-5912
- Hugh G. Cooper - (678) 284-3442