Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web


The Henry County Probate Court has jurisdiction over: Estates; Guardianships and Conservatorships of Incapacitated Adults; Temporary Guardianships of Minors; Conservatorships of Minors; Involuntary Treatments for Drug and Alcohol Abuse; Involuntary Commitments; Vital Records (Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates); Passports; Issuance of Concealed Weapons Carry Licenses (Gun Permit); and Issuance of Marriage Licenses.

Georgia Advance Directive for Health Care

In 2007, the Georgia Legislature adopted the Georgia Advance Directive for Health Care Act, which replaced the former Georgia Living Will and the Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care.  What had been two separate forms is now one document.  This new document is meant to be a comprehensive up-to-date document that will assist Georgians in making their personal care and medical treatment decisions more clearly known.  The new form uses understandable and everyday language and has easy to follow instructions.  Please note that any validly executed Living Will created between March 28, 1986 and June 30, 2007, will remain valid until it is revoked.  Also, any validly executed Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care created before June 30, 2007 will remain valid until it is revoked.  For a copy of the new form, please see Georgia Advance Directive for Health Care Form.

Do I need an Attorney?

You do not need an attorney to file completed documents in a court if you are able to prepare the documents yourself.  This applies in any court.  You are allowed to represent yourself in any civil case in any court in the United States of America.  Therefore, you may represent yourself in this court also.


If you feel uncomfortable representing yourself, the clerks of this or any other court cannot represent you by giving you legal advice.  The clerks of this court cannot tell you which document you should file.  The clerks of this court cannot complete any document for you or tell you what to write in any document.  That would be giving you legal advice, and the clerk would be violating the law.


When you file a petition in this court, you are beginning a case in this court, and you will be representing yourself in that case unless you engage an attorney to represent you.  Please note, before representing yourself in a hearing before this court you must view a video on how to represent yourself in court.  The video is 30 minutes in length and may be viewed below.